Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Concert review - HammerFall

Saturday, March 13th, 2010. Peabody's, Cleveland, Ohio. HammerFall.

I've been waiting a few years now for a chance to see this band, and they didn't disappoint. But before I get into that, let me go over the support bands. There were only two on the bill, but there wound up being five. First up was a band called Erebus. I searched for them on Myspace, and found a handful of other Erebuses (Erebii?), but not the one I saw. They said they were from Ohio, and I can pretty much guarantee you that not a one of them was out of high school. These guys had harsh, screaming vocals. Not usually something I choose to listen to, but decent live, and I'm always impressed with people's ability to keep up those vocals. Their drummer was pretty solid, too, but their guitarists need to keep practicing.

Next was a band called Insignia. I can't seem to find a Myspace for them either. They had more of a straight up rock sound, and their guitarist was really good. He was especially impressive since he was handling both the lead and rhythm parts.

The third band of the night was called Suffer the Wicked. They had a great crunchy metal sound, and a female singer with a strong voice. I'm a little biased, since I usually like female-fronted metal quite a bit, but this was definitely my favorite of the support acts. Check them out.

Next on the bill (and my feet were getting pretty tired at this point) was Wretch. These guys were pure, unadulterated classic thrash metal. Just straight up, bang your head, throw up your horns metal, and it was great!

Lastly came Powerglove. If you grew up in the '80s, you'll love this band. They play heavy metal versions of 8-bit and 16-bit video game music, as well as cartoon theme songs. Let me tell you, there's nothing quite like being in a crowded room full of metalheads, singing along to a metal version of the Transformers theme song. You just have to experience it to understand. And when they played the Zelda theme, I got a big smile on my face that wouldn't go away. Very cool.

But now, the main event of the evening, the headliners, HammerFall! If you've never heard these guys, they're one of the biggest bands in Sweden, and they play power metal. Like I said before, I've been waiting a couple of years for a chance to see these guys. I've seen Blind Guardian and I've seen Edguy, HammerFall was the last of my personal big three of power metal that I needed to see. It was very crowded, and I had been on my feet (standing in virtually the same spot) for about six hours at this point, so I was sore and miserable, but when HammerFall took the stage it just didn't matter anymore. They played almost everything I wanted to hear and sounded great the entire time. I can easily say it was the best show I've seen in about six months. Then again, this was the first show I've seen in six months, so that probably helps, but it really was awesome. If you like metal and get a chance to see this band, do so.

Before I finish up, I just want to add one more thing to anyone out there reading this who happens to be in a band. Especially you unsigned, local acts that get to open up for the big guys that come through on tour. Please, please for the love of God, remember to say your name! And not just once! Say it when you come out, try to drop it once again during your set, then say it again when you're finished! If we like you, we want to know your name so we can look you up! When you only say it once it's too easy to forget, or worse, not hear at all. Then there are those bands that get up on stage, play, and never say their name! Come on, guys! This is your big shot! Promote yourselves!

Anyway, that's my rant. So check out the links I provided for the bands, see if you like them, and go out and see a show for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment