Saturday, January 30, 2010

Game review - God of War: Chains of Olympus

Right away I know what you're thinking. This game came out quite some time ago, why review it now? Well, because I just now got around to playing it. Hey, it happens. To me, it happens a lot. So get used to reading reviews here on things that have been out for a while. I'm sure there are plenty of you out there who might not have played this game yet, either. So here you go.

Chains of Olympus is the PSP entry into the God of War series. It would have been real easy for Sony to just make a portable version of one of the PS2 God of War games, but instead they took the time to create a wholly original entry into the series. Set before the original God of War, this game sees Kratos as a servant of the Gods, going where they command to act as muscle. While repelling a Persian invasion, Kratos sees the sun fall from the sky, and has to figure out what has happened to Helios, the sun god.

The controls for this game are slightly dumbed down from the PS2 games, to fit with the limited number of buttons on the PSP. This really isn't a problem, though. The game plays just as good as its big brothers do, if not better in some cases. The secondary weapon you get in this game, the Gauntlet of Zeus, allows you to lay some serious beatdowns on your enemies. I'd have to say it's my favorite secondary weapon out of the whole series. In fact, I might even say that this game as a whole is my favorite of the series. The quick time events were a bit more demanding, but other than that I can't think of a real negative for this game. If you're a God of War fan and you own a PSP, you owe it to yourself to get this.

No comments:

Post a Comment