Thursday, June 13, 2013

E3 2013 final impressions

Another E3 has come and gone. Now that the smoke has cleared I'm going to give my impressions of each conference and some of the other news released.

Microsoft: B for their actual show. They showed a lot of great looking games. For their E3 as a whole, though, F. The games they showed are meaningless as long as they're on the Xbox One (I promise I'll put up a post detailing my thoughts on that system soon).

EA: C. Sports, sports, sports. I know some people wait eagerly for each new iteration of Madden or FIFA, and that's fine. The new games they showed did look good. I've just never cared for sports games much. The other stuff they showed was nice, though. Battlefield 4 looks great and I can't wait to give it a try.

Ubisoft: B+. Assassin's Creed was one of my favorite new franchises of gen 7, so I'm really looking forward to ACIV. Watch Dogs looks like it could be just as good. And of course I've been waiting for Rayman Legends for a long time now. Still a little upset with Ubisoft for delaying it so long just to accommodate the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions, but I have to give Ubisoft props for showing Nintendo so much support. Just make sure that Division game comes to Wii U!

Sony: A. Sure, there was a moment of panic there when they wouldn't stop talking about TV and movie services, but they killed it with their whole used games/always online policy! The PS4 looks like it'll be a powerful system with great tech and a lot of cool games. Combine that with the fact that they won't be trying to screw me with restrictions and a required live camera in my house, and a price $100 less than the Xbox One, and I'm ready to get one as soon as they're available. It'll be the perfect system to supplement my Wii U.

Nintendo: A. My favorite company came through for the most part with a lot of great looking games that I can't wait to play. I just would've liked more wow-factor, more surprises. Here's to hoping the fantastic looking 1st party games will provide the boost to system sales necessary to get more 3rd party support also.

So that's my feelings on E3 this year. Over all a very satisfying show, much better than the last two years have been. What did you think? Leave some comments below and tell me!

If you enjoy reading my blog, please tell your friends about it, and be sure to follow me on Twitter @RevLink_GI. Thanks!

Today's music: Sonic the Hedgehog